How can I import multiple courses at once?
In order to import multiple courses, an Excel spreadsheet must first be created. At the very least, it must contain fields for course number and course name.
If you would like to use this list to upload section information, you will need to include the section number and section name. The academic term for all of the sections will be selected with a drop down menu while mapping your spreadsheet in Foliotek. In order to make full use of this feature, you could add a field for course description and the following fields describing the course sections: times, days, campus, location, instructor, and credits. Doing this will complete all of the information within the system. However, for the optional fields you could manually enter them within Foliotek. If you are entering multiple sections for a course, you will need to list that course on a separate row for each section you are creating; be careful to make sure that the course number, name, and description are exactly the same for each section of the course. As you create your spreadsheet, you should take notes on what is in each field as you will be telling the system which field has what information. F1 is the first field on the left side of your spreadsheet, the fields then continue from left to right (F2, F3, F4 etc…). Having these notes will help you map out your fields when uploading your list of courses.
- Once your spreadsheet is created and saved to your desktop follow these steps:
- Click Courses from within the Assessment menu
- Click Import Multiple Courses
- Use the 'Browse' or 'Choose File' button to locate your Excel file and double click the file
- Fill out the 'Sheet Name' box with the name of the sheet in your Excel spreadsheet (bottom left of Excel)
- Choose the contents of the file by clicking on the radio button next to 'Courses Only' or 'Courses and Sections' if you are using your spreadsheet to upload section information and click Next
- Fill out your Course Mappings using the drop down menus (telling the system where to find each field of information by field number on your spreadsheet)Fill out your Section Mappings using the drop down menus (you will select the academic term using the choices in the drop down menu)
- Click Next
- Select the sections you would like to add by clicking on the boxes next to each section (you are selecting which rows of your spreadsheet will be uploaded into the system)
- If you would like to add any of these sections to an exiting course in Foliotek, use the drop down menu for existing course to select which course you would like to add it to (if you don't do so, the system will use your previous mappings to place the sections with the courses you are adding with the spreadsheet)
- Click Next, review what you have added to the system and click OK